Research & Study
As leaders in orthopaedic treatment, we are committed to developing improved ways of managing orthopaedic medicine. The Wakefield Orthopaedic Clinic Research Foundation provides funding to support an active research program, while the Clinic's Fellowship Program has made significant contributions to the improvement of orthopaedic surgical procedures and techniques.
To learn more about the Clinic's research and study commitments please follow the links below.
In 1995, the Wakefield Orthopaedic Clinic established its own Research Foundation to advance the development of orthopaedic medicine. This foundation provides funding to support research and development of improved ways of managing orthopaedic injuries. The important part of the Foundation's role is to oversee the regular review of knee, hip and shoulder joint replacements which are followed carefully on a long term basis to ensure that the best prostheses are used and that any problems can be identified early.
The fund is supported by the Clinic members and members of the public through donations and importantly from companies that manufacture the actual joint replacements who are committed to quality assurance of their products.
Through an active Fellowship and Research Program, the clinic has made significant contributions to the improvement of orthopaedic surgical procedures and techniques. In addition, the results of various research projects undertaken by visiting overseas Fellows have been published in medical journals worldwide.
The Wakefield Orthopaedic Clinic and the Wakefield Orthopaedic Foundation receives funding from implant companies and other service providers to assist in research, education and development. This supports high-quality patient care for the community.
Our team of specialists have helped lead innovation and patient care in orthopaedics for many years. Our combined contributions to the field of orthopaedic research are listed below.
There are a number of International and local research trials that are ongoing in both upper and lower limb research and each surgeon can provide information on these trials and invite patients to participate if they wish to be part of a research study.
All trials have received approval from the Calvary Health Care Ethics Committee Adelaide.
Current trials can be viewed on the following websites:
For further information please contact the Research Coordinator.
- Mario G.T. Zotti, David G. Campbell, Richard Woodman Detection of Periprosthetic Osteolysis Around Total Knee Arthroplasties An In Vitro Study The Journal of Arthroplasty Vol. 27 No. 2 2012
- Robert B. Molnar, Deanne E. Jenkin Michael J. Millar, David Campbell, Ian A. Harris The Australian Arthroplasty Thromboprophylaxis Survey The Journal of Arthroplasty Vol. 27 No. 2 p173 – 179 2012
- Stuart A. Callary, David G. Campbell, Graham E. Mercer, Kjell G. Nilsson, John R. Field The 6-Year Migration Characteristics of a Hydroxyapatite-Coated Femoral Stem. A Radiostereometric Analysis Study The Journal of Arthroplasty Vol. 27 No. 7 p 1344 – 1348, 2012
- Bradshaw, Anthony R.; Monoghan, Jennifer; Campbell, David Current Orthopaedic Practice: 3 February 2012 Oral tranexamic acid reduces blood loss in total knee replacement arthroplasty doi:10.1097/BCO.0b013e318247f1d5
- Callary SA, Campbell DG, Mercer G, Nilsson KG, Field JR Wear of a 5 megarad cross-linked polyethylene liner: a 6-year RSA study. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013 Jul;471(7):2238-44. doi: 10.1007/s11999-013-2789-x. Epub 2013 Jan 19
- Stuart A. Callary, John R. Field, David G. Campbell Low Wear of a Second-generation Highly Cross-linked Polyethylene Liner: A 5-year Radiostereometric Analysis Study Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®. 2013 Nov;471(11): 3596-600. doi: 10.1007/s11999-013-3188-z. Epub 2013 Jul 27
- Mario G.T. Zotti, David G. Campbell, Richard Woodman Digital imaging is not superior to Film-Screen imaging for the detection of periprosthetic osteolysis around total knee arthroplasties The Journal of Arthroplasty. 2014 Apr;29(4): 736-41. doi:10.1016/j.arth.2013.09.006. Epub 2013 Oct 9
- P Lewis, A Gamboa, D Campbell, M Lorimer Outcome of prosthesis matched and unmatched patella components in primary and revision total knee replacement The Knee, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.knee.2017.07.006
- J Scarvell, D Perriman, P Smith, D Campbell, W Bruce, B Nivbrandt Total Knee Arthroplasty Using Bicruciate-Stabilized or Posterior-Stabilized Knee Implants Provided Comparable Outcomes at 2 Years: A Prospective, Multicenter, Randomized Controlled, Clinical Trial of Patient Outcomes The Journal of Arthroplasty 32 (2017) 3356e3363
- Callary SA 1, Solomon LB, Holubowycz OT, Campbell DG, Howie DW Accuracy of methods to measure femoral head penetration within metal-backed acetabular components J Orthop Res. 2017 May 35(5) 988-996.
- Christopher Vertullo, Peter Lewis, Stephen Graves, Lan Kelly, Michelle Lorimer and Peter Myers Twelve-Year outcomes of an oxinium total knee replacement compared with the same Cobalt-Chromium Design Design: An analysis of 17,577 prostheses from the Australian Orthopaedic Association National Joint Replacement Registry The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American Volume. 99(4):275-283, Feb 2017 https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.16.00092
- Peter Feczko, Lutz Engelmann, Jacobus J. Arts and David Campbell Computer-assisted total knee arthroplasty using mini midvastus or medial parapatellar approach technique A prospective, randomized, international multicentre trial BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders (2016)
- Walker P 1, Campbell D 2, Della Torre P 1, Brazil D3, McTighe T Trunnion Corrosion and Early Failure in Monolithic Metal-on-Polyethylene TMZF Femoral Components: A Case Series Reconstructive Review, Volume 6, Number 3, September 2016
- David G. Campbell, Stuart A. Callary, John R. Field The rate of wear of second-generation highly cross-linked polyethylene liners five years post operatively does not increase if large femoral heads are used. The Bone and joint Journal, volume 98-VB, (12), December 2016
- David Campbell Youth, obesity and worn knees. A trifecta of trouble. Medicine Today. September 2015, volume 16, (9) 73-75
- David Campbell Commentary. Is trunnionosis the next tribiological hurdle The case for an improved off the shelf taper. Is there an optimum taper design?Reconstructive Review Vol 5 Number 2 p57-58 July 2015
- Gamboa A, Campbell D, Lewis P Short-Stem Hip Arthroplasty as a Solution for Limited Proximal Femoral Bone Stock. Reconstructive Review Vol 5 Number 2 July 2015
- Callary SA1, Solomon LB, Holubowycz OT, Campbell DG, Munn Z, Howie DW Wear of highly crosslinked polyethylene acetabular components. Acta Orthop 2015 April 86 (2) 159-68
- Mario GT Zotti, David Campbell, Richard Woodman Digital imaging is not superior to Film Screen imaging for the detection of periprosthetic osteolysis around total knee arthroplasties. The Journal of Arthroplasty 2014: Apr 29 (4) 736-51
- Sandow Michael J, Huw David, Bental Steven J Hemiarthroscopy vs total shoulder replacement for rotator cuff intact osteoarthritis: how do they fare after a decade? Journal Shoulder Elbow Surgery 18 Jan 2013 online.
- Sandow Michael J, Sukthankar Atul, Leonello Domenic, Hertel Ralph, Ding Gordon A comprehensive classification of proximal humeral fractures: HGLS system Journal Shoulder Elbow Surgery 14 Jan 2013 online.
- Cunningham G, Ricciardo B Synovial Fluid sedimentation in the immobile patient: A commentary on modern septic arthritis and the addition of a new variable confounding diagnosis. Orthopaedic Research and Reviews 2013: 5 1-4
- Bruce Warwick, Campbell David, Daly David, Ibister James Practical recommendations for patient blood management and the reduction of perioperative transfusion in joint replacement surgery. ANZ J Surg. 2013 Apr;83(4): 222-9. doi: 101111/ans.12000. Epub 2012 Nov 1.
- Bailie A.G., Lewis P.L., Brumby S.A., Roy S., Paterson R.S., Campbell D.G. The Unispacer knee implant: Early clinical results JBJS 2008, 90-B (4): 446-50
- Brumby S.A., Carrington R., Zayontz S., Reish T., Scott R.D. Tibial plateau stress fracture: a complication of unicompartmental knee arthroplasty using 4 guide pinholes. J Arthroplasty 2003 Sep;18(6): 809-12.
- D.S. Barker, A. Wang, M.F. Yeo, N. Nawana, S.A. Brumby, M.J. Pearcy, D.W. Howie The skeletal response to matt and polished cemented femoral stems JBJS 2000, 82-B (8): 1182-8
- Brumby S.A., Howie D.W., Pearcy M.J., Wang A.W. Radiographic and histologic analysis of cemented double tapered femoral stems Clin Orthop 1998, 355: 229-237
- Cain T.M., Fon G.T., Brumby S., Howie D.W. Plain Film and Arthrographic Findings in Painful Hip Arthroplasties with Surgical Correlation Australas radiology 1990, 34: 211-218
- Costi K, Howie DW, Campbell DG, McGee MA, Cornish BL Long-Term Survival and Reason for Revision of Wagner Resurfacing Hip Arthroplasty J Arthroplasty. 2010 (4) 522 – 528
- David Campbell, Graham Mercer, Kjell-Gunnar Nilsson, Vanessa Wells, John R. Field and Stuart A. Wear of a highly cross-linked polyethylene liner: a preliminary RSA study Callary. Eur J Orthop Surg traumatol. 2009 Volume 20, Number 1 / January, 2010
- David Campbell, Graham Mercer, Kjell-Gunnar Nilsson, and Stuart A. Callary Cementless Stem Stabilization After Intraoperative Fracture: A Radiostereometric Analysis Case Report Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 468, Issue 3 (2010), Page 898; 10.1007/s11999-009-1082-5
- Marcia Clark, David G. Campbell, Greg Kiss, Peter J. Dobson and Peter L. Lewis Reintervention after Mobile-bearing Oxford Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®, Volume 468, Number 2 / February, 2010
- David G. Campbell, John R. Field and Stuart A. Callary Second-generation Highly Cross-linked X3™ Polyethylene Wear: A Preliminary Radiostereometric Analysis Study Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®. 468 910), 2704-2709, 2010 DOI: 10.1007/s11999-010-1259-y
- Unicondylar knee replacement with a new tensioner device Clinical results of a multicentre study on 168 cases. Archives Of Orthopaedic And Trauma Surgery: Volume 130, Issue 6 (2010), Page 727-732.
- David Campbell, Paul Smith, Peter Lewis, Warwick Bruce Controversies of Thromboprophylaxis Following Knee Arthroplasty Surgery ANZ Journal of Surgery; 80 (6), 391-395. 2010
- Arthur Turnow, David Campbell Knee replacement survival rates with all polyethylene or metal back tibial components. What do the Registries say. JISRF Reconstructive Review Vol 3 No 2. September 2013 p59-64.
- In-patient physiotherapy: management of orthopaedic surgery Lucy Chipchase, Scott A Brumby Butterworth-Heinemann, 2001 ISBN: 0 7506 4459 1
- BalanSys Uni Surgical Technique Russell F. Warren, Frank Hoffmann, Ulrich Wehrli, David Campbell 2004 © Mathys Ltd Güterstrasse 5 – CH-2544 Bettlach, Switzerland
- BalanSys Surgical Technique. 4in1 soft tissue-orientated surgical technique Diane Beck, David Campbell, Steven Cannon 2008 © Mathys Ltd Güterstrasse 5 – CH-2544 Bettlach, Switzerland
In: Controversies of Knee ReplacementEditor: R. Laskin
Unicompartmental osteoarthritis of the knee is best treated with osteotomy rather than unicompartmental knee replacement
S.A. Brumby, T.S. Thornhill
Oxford University Press, 2001
ISBN: 0 19 263072 5
The Wakefield Orthopaedic Clinic hosts Fellows for training under an AOA (Australian Orthopaedic Association) recognised program. The Fellows must adhere to all regulations and guidelines as stipulated by the Medical Board of South Australia and the Australian Orthopaedic Association and provide evidence of English language proficiency.
The Wakefield Orthopaedic Clinic offers a Lower Limb Fellowship in Adelaide, South Australia. The focus of the Fellowship is lower limb sports medicine and lower limb arthroplasty.
Download our information sheet to find out more about the Wakefield Orthopaedic Lower Limb Fellowship and how to apply.